Thursday, April 29, 2010

Weeks 29-30 Russia

Привет

Our stay in Russia was interesting.  We learned about the religious history and all the changes they've gone through.  We also studied the climate which is quite diverse since its so large.  We focused in on the Artic portion.   We did several ice related experiments.  My kids love whenever we do experiments, so I'm hoping to find something to do lots of them next year.  One day when we were doing the ice experiments, it was one of those days where school was a struggle.  Little Sponge wanted my full attention, Mathboy was having trouble concentrating and it just went down hill from there.  So once we got done with the basics and the experiments, I sent them outside with the big bowl of ice cubes.  I gave them a couple rules (like no throwing ice at my van!)  and told them to have at it.  They threw ice all over and ran around the yard yelling and having fun.  I just figured tomorrow would be a new day - and it was.  :) 

For crafts, we made a simplified paper version of Matroishka Dolls and simple Fabrege Eggs. 

Tomorrow is our last day in Australia, so I hope to have that post up soon too.
G'day Mates!

4 comments:

Emily said...

What a great idea for the dolls! Thanks for sharing, as always! Let us know what science curriculum you go with next year!

Kim said...

I just love all of the projects you do! What do you do with them all? Do you keep them all (and for how long) or get rid of them?

Champion Builders said...

hahahahah!!! great question...they take over my house and threaten to swallow us!! Just kidding - kinda.

If they fit in our notebooks, then I put them in their notebooks and keep them and pack them up to storage. The ones they really like, they take to their rooms. We tend to hang things on the wall for a bit until we need the space for something new. Once we finish a school year though, I take EVERYTHING down off the walls and eventually throw away anything that isn't in a notebook or in their rooms. I take pictures of it all, so I save the pictures in their notebooks.

The little people from Russia have mostly fallen apart already. The eggs are sitting on the microwave right now, but will be thrown away in a couple of weeks.

Kim said...

Thanks for your reply. I have a hard time parting with things my kids worked so hard on, but taking pictures of it all is a great idea! :)