Sunday, April 11, 2010

Strawberries & Tea Parties

We are in the middle of our study of Russia, but I'm not ready to post about that.  I thought I'd share a few fun things we've done recently.   

STRAWBERRIES!
Due to the unusual winter freezes we had this year, the strawberry crops were delayed and all came to ripen at the same time.  The local farmers have more strawberries then they can sell before they overripen so many of them are offering great deals.  I found a hydroponic chemical free farm that was offering strawberries for a great price, so we all went "picking".   I put picking in quotes because really we went CUTTING.   You cut them with scissors!  Here's a blurb from their website that explains why:
Please use the scissors we provide. Cut the stem of each berry. By cutting the stem, the strawberry plant thinks it is losing seeds. This makes the plant produce more berries to replace the lost berry. It will also prevent damage to the plant and keep the strawberries you take home fresh longer.

It was quick, easy, clean, and fun!


We got a total of 14 pounds!

My mom made a delicious crunch topped strawberry pie for our Easter dinner.  It was sooooo good.   Then I washed and hulled this big batch you see above.  My mom made and canned jam out of most of and we of course just ate the rest!  Thanks Grammy for making the jam :)

A TEA PARTY

Bookgirl was invited to a birthday tea party for one of her dance friends.   The invitation was so cute.  It told the girls to wear a fabulous hat and to dress in their fanciest dress.   Bookgirl had a great time.  Thank you Miss M for inviting her.  Happy Birthday!

Have a great week everyone!
Благословения
(Blessings)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those strawberries look wonderful! And what fun to cut them yourselves - they can't get any more fresh than that! Great job. And Bookgirl looks absolutely beautiful all dressed up for her party.

Anonymous said...

Somehow I have missed checking your blog out as much as I would like to! So .... late getting here, but oh my goodness, the strawberries look delicious! And mmmmmm, strawberry jam is wonderful!

Bookgirl looks so darling in her finest hat and dress, ready for the tea party! Is all that curl from foam rollers? Lovely!

Cathy