Saturday, March 27, 2010

Week 27 - Japan

こんにちは

We combined our two week stay in Japan into one week and amazingly it all went smoothly and we still managed a trip to the Aquarium on Friday.  During our stay in Japan, they learned a bit of origami.  The pages I printed to do them from didn't have very clear directions, so only a few of ours turned out correctly.  The hats and the cups were the best, although we managed a bird or two also.   I was suprised that they weren't interested in trying more of them, but maybe it was the difficult directions that deterred them.
Doesn't the dog look thrilled?

Daddy did the science experiments from last week and this week with the kids.  They liked the one in the bathtub best.  They filled a 2L bottle with cold water and blue food coloring.   Once its was super cold from the fridge, they put it underwater in a warm bathtub and let 1/2 the water out to find out which was heavier - cold or warm water.   I don't have pictures to share because I was feeding Baby New Year when they did it.  They also did a few experiments with salt water.  Little Sponge thought the egg floating around in there was hilarious.

Part of our nature study this week was spent outside.   Bookgirl and Mathboy each picked something to draw.  Mathboy picked a palm tree and Bookgirl picked a weed plant.  They brainstormed for descriptive words and phrases to make into a Haiku.  
The Palm Tree
by Mathboy
Waving, Gray, and Green
Standing so straight and so tall,
Full of little nuts

The Plant
by Bookgirl
Yellow and pale green
Flowering, beautifully
Growing in the grass

We had a couple of milestones around here this week.  If you saw my Wordless Wednesday post this week you saw that Mathboy lost his second tooth.   He was brushing his teeth and brushed it out into the sink!   He also finished his phonics/reading workbook.
Baby New Year has decided that its fun to try to walk now.  This week, he's started taking alot more steps.  He's still not full fledge walking, but he's taking 8 or 10 steps at a time, so it won't be long.   Hopefully I'll capture a picture or video soon.  

To tie in with Japan and the ocean study, (but who's kidding, does it really need to tie in?!) we went to the Aquarium on Friday.  It was a quick trip, but the kids and I had fun.  We just wished Daddy was with us.

They were all 4 entranced by this fish tower
and this guy was new since we were there last. 
That's our Weekly Wrap Up
 Blessings!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a treat is to read about what the children are learing each week. You are making learning so much fun!

Cheryl Pitt said...

That's a happy dog if I ever saw one :) I think the kids had much more fun!