Saturday, March 20, 2010

China - weeks 25&26

你好

The kids really enjoyed the games and crafts in our study of China.  They found they loved Chinese checkers, and we already liked playing with Tangrams, so it was fun to find out they are from China.   For crafts they made paper fans, paper lanterns, and rubber stamps with their initials.  If you see Chinese art it usually has a red stamp on it. That is the artist's signature stamp, so we made our own from erasers :) 



For science they are learning more about the sea and the oceans. We didn't get to the experiments since we had a few hectic days in there, but I'm hoping to fit it in this week.  

This week Bookgirl and Mathboy had their annual standardized testing.  I'm happy to report both kids did great and enjoyed it.  This was Mathboy's first year testing and sometimes he can clam up in situations where he's uncomfortable, so my main goal was for him to enjoy it and be relaxed.  He was so excited when he came out and told me all about it.  I am very thankful that his first testing experience was good.  They have to do it every year, so I'd rather him think its fun than dread it.    Bookgirl always loves doing it and asks how much her scores went up each time...my competitive girl. 

Little Sponge did a couple of cute crafts this week.  He also is quite interested in puzzles all of the sudden and I'm using that to my full advantage during school time :) 

By far the favorite activity during our stay in China was our Chinese dinner.  I found a set of Chinese place mats and chopsticks at the Dollar Store.   Mike knows how to use chopsticks, and taught us all.  To my amazement, after a few pieces of flying food, we all figured them out!   Bookgirl and Mathboy ate their entire dinners with the chopsticks.  LittleSponge had his own technique.  He held them upside down and with a clenched fist, yet somehow he got food into his mouth!   He eventually switched to a fork, but I was impressed.  


If you want a tasty stir-fry, this recipe was delicious.  Stir-Fry Orange Chicken & Vegetables  The reviews all said to cut down the broth, so I used 1c. instead of the 1 3/4c called for.  I'll probably do 1 1/4c next time.  Here's a picture of it before I added the orange marmalade and the sauce/broth mixture. 

That's our bi-Weekly Wrap Up!
Next stop.....Japan.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome experience! Loved reading about your trip! Great photos and wonderful reading your blog.

Grandma & Grandpa

Unknown said...

Awesome experience! Loved reading about your trip! Great photos and wonderful reading your blog.

Grandma & Grandpa

Emily said...

Sounds like fun! Thanks for sharing the recipe! I'll have to try that since chinese restaurants are a hazard because of a peanut allergy! Where do you get your cute craft kits for Little Sponge?

Champion Builders said...

I posted over at your blog Emily, but in case anyone else is wondering, most of those crafts came from this Giant Busy Box http://www.alextoys.com/product/530X