Monday, March 8, 2010

India - Weeks 23 & 24

आशीर्वाद! (Blessings)

First, thank you to Bookgirl for doing the blog post last week.  You did a great job, sweety.   Thankfully, I'm all healed up and everyone else should be soon too. 

Weeks 23 & 24 we visited India.   They studied about Hinduism, learned about mountains, the Taj Mahal, traditional clothing, and native foods.   We did science experiments to learn how ice can crack rock in a mountain and also volcano experiments.   Our favorite Indian food was a Lassi - a mint vanilla yogurt drink - mmmmmmmmm!


This is a scan of Mathboy's worksheeet translating the Devnagri language - an Indian language that the New Testament has been translated into by Wycliffe.  The kids each made bookmarks with their names written in Devnagri, also. 

For every continent we study we play the Geography Game.  I thought I'd show you a picture so you can get the idea.   I have game cards (thank you My Father's World), and I call out a country.  The kids have to call out what continent its on and then find it and tell me it's number on the game board.  Then they can put a green square on it.   When we had N.America, S. America, and Europe they could get them all correct, but now that we've added Africa and Asia its gotten alot harder.  Even so, Daddy was very impressed with them playing it last night.



Two personal things to share
1. Little Sponge got his first salon hair cut with Daddy.   He sat still and got a lollipop at the end :)


2.  We are doing a fundraiser for the Ronald McDonald House.  From now until April 15th, we are collecting aluminum can tabs.   Did you know the homes only charge the families who stay there $10 a night, but it costs the RMH $150?   This is a great cause, so if you live near us and would bring us your can tabs, we'd be happy to deliver them to the Ronald McDonald House location that's doing the fundraiser.   Here are Bookgirl and Mathboy taking the tabs off all the XS Energy Drink cans from our recycling bin.

We are currently in China for 2 weeks.  I'll be sure to report on our visit.  Blessings!

That's our bi-Weekly Wrap up!

7 comments:

Joelle said...

I found your blog through THL. This looks like so much fun!

Champion Builders said...

Thanks for saying hi Joelle. It is alot of fun. The curriculum can be found at www.mfwbooks.com. What is THL? (I'm racking my brain for those initials lol)
Lori

Anonymous said...

Your academy is building brick houses :) Keep up the great work, mama.

Rieshy said...

Looks like an interesting week. Blessings on the can-drive:)

Cheryl Pitt said...

What a great week! It's wonderful that you're kids are involved in the drive :)

Autismland Penny said...

Sounds like a fun week! I love all the hands on stuff! It's great to get your kids involved in service.

Kim said...

You are amazing! Is that map game sold separately? Going to check... :)

My aunt, uncle and cousins stayed at a RMH in NYC when my uncle had his surgery (cancer). What a blessing! Thank you for your hard work to help them. :)