Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Bible Field Trip

While we were in Orlando for our Disney vacation we took a day trip to Wordspring Discovery Center.    This is located at Wycliff Bible Translations office complex.  Earlier in the year we learned about the founder, Cameron Townsend and we read his biography as a great read-aloud. This field trip fit right in!  If you are in Orlando this is a great 1/2 day field trip.  It's about 30-40 minutes from Disney.  Be sure to print the coupons from their website before you go. 

The first thing we learned when we got there was its pronounced Wih-cliff not WY-cliff like we thought :)   
Wycliff's Vision is to have God's Word accessible too all people in the language of their heart.   In the main lobby they have a huge board with over 3000 languages written on it.  These are languages that do not have any part of the Bible written in them.  Amazing that there are so many languages.  We are such a small part of God's world.  To this day, Wycliff has been involved in translating part of God's Word in 740 languages.  


As we did the self-guided tour, it was neat to see many of the things we have learned about.  A mannequin of a Cakchiquel Indian of Guatemala (Cah-che-kell  - we were also saying this wrong when reading our book) was unlike what any of us had pictured in our minds.   Here is the wall of people.  Each of these represents a language that has part or all of scripture translated.   The first one is the Cakchiquel Indian. With each person is information on what parts have been translated and when or what is in the process of being done, as well as showing on the globe where they live.

They have a display of Cameron Townsend's cardfile system he used when translating that first New Testament for the Cakchiquels and a Bible that he gave to his mom.  
  The tour takes you through the history of translation and of how translation is done.   There are lots of things to read, listen to, and some hands-on activities.   They do have videos, live presentations, and tour guides available, but we got there at 11am and they don't run any of that during the lunch hours.   I would say that my little guys were a little bored, so its probably geared torward 3rd grade and up - most likely aimed at older students and adults.  Here are a few pictures of our visit.
 

This trip was a month ago now, but I didn't want to miss sharing about this unique experience.  Its a place I'd like to revisit when the kids are a bit older and we can spend more time and have the guided tour. 

As for school, we just finished up 3 weeks in Africa, so that should be my next post.  I have some cute pictures of their face painting :) 
Blessings to you!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a great trip- we went last year in preparation for upcoming studies. Thank you so much for sharing!!

Emily said...

Thanks for posting about this! We are trying to plan a Disney trip for the this spring and I had no idea this existed! We will HAVE to visit it...I love being able to include things like this that makes what we are learning come more alive! Did you visit Epcot at all while at Disney? I thought seeing the different cultures would fit in as well...I've never been to disney, so I'm not sure what to expect! I'd love any advice you have from your trip!