Sunday, September 6, 2009

Week 4 - USA

Before I tell you abour our week, I thought I'd show you Little Sponge's new-to-him tricycle.  The silly grin says it all.



Our prayer focus this week was the Navajo people.  It really touched me that each night at bedtime, Bookgirl would remember not only to pray for them, but the specific prayer needs that we read about in Window on the World. 

It really seemed like we were trying to cram alot of USA information into just 2 weeks, but it was fun.  Here's they are playing USA Twister, to help memorize where the states are:
On Thursday when I quized them on the 50 states, Bookgirl could label 45 of them, and Mathboy labeled 27.  We really just spent a few minutes a day for 7 or 8 days locating the states, so I was pretty pleased the Mathboy got that many at 5yrs old.   Bookgirl had trouble remembering some of the New England states, and she forgot the name for Wyoming, but she got the rest. 
Our craft for the week was a simple one, but they really enjoyed it.  We made Hawaiian flower leis.  I honestly expected to hear ouch several times from Mathboy since they were using a needle and thread, but to my suprise, he never stuck himself at all.
 
They enjoyed this so much that they made leis for their "friends" too.   Here's Jubilee and Little Bookgirl  and then B (remember him from Tidbits for Tuesday?).
Lastly we learned a song called Fifty Nifty United States.  Now, honestly, to do it properly we needed at least two more weeks to work on the music part of it, but they did memorize the states, and in couple years when we do American History again, we'll work on it some more.  My brother and I learned this song in Mrs. H's elementary music class and I can still sing the whole thing.  It comes in handy sometimes to know all 50 states in alphabetically order :)   Anyone else learn this song in elementary school?

The first video is the entire song and the second is some of the funnier moments as we were recording it.





Sunday night the kids will pick up their passports and travel to Mexico. I'll be back next week to report on their journey. Have a blessed week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So darling! I love the 50 Nifty United States song. R did it in 5th grade (or was it 4th?). The bloopers were a hoot, too! Thanks for sharing!

Cathy

Erika said...

Oh my goodness! I think that song will be around forever. Great job singing it!

Erika

Kim said...

I never learned that song... how cute! They were so adorable singing it. That first video cracked me up. I laughed at the flag falling over. Ha ha! Classic!

USA Twister is a neat idea. :)