Sunday, September 20, 2009

Mexico - week 6

Our local parent educators group held a used book sale last Spring.  I picked up a book for $2 from Evan Moor called How to Teach Art to Children.  It has art activities for different facets of art, such as lines, colors, shapes, and texture.  If all the activities are like the ones we did this week, I definitely got my $2 worth.  We did 3 activities from the section on lines.  I'll share pictures of our favorite one.

We started out with squares.  On each square I drew two different lines that do not intersect.  Here are two examples.

Bookgirl and Mathboy looked at the lines and imagined a picture to make from them.   They liked this so much, they asked me to make more squares so they could keep doing it during quiet time.   I think they turned out great.  I'm trying to decide where I want to hang them.

All that from two black lines!

We had a field trip with our homeschool group to a local Art Center.  The kids got to meet with a local artist, tour the museum, and even create their own art.   Here are some pictures one of the moms took.



This next picture cracks me up.   Mathboy is doing his math here.  Bet you can't do this in a tradtional classroom setting!  I'm not sure why it helps to do math, kneeling on the table, but whatever works. 


On Fridays, Bookgirl has letter writing assigned.  One week she writes the rough draft and then the next week edits, rewrites, and mails it.  This week she wrote to a friend of ours that is serving our country in Iraq.  If you look at our map tracker on the right side, you can now see a dot in Iraq.  Thanks to the W family for your sacrifice.  If any of you know people in other states or countries, send them a link to this blog.  Help us fill up the map.

Last week you saw the making of the pinata and this week we decorated it, first with paint and then with tissue paper pieces.

This picture sums up why we do crafts like this one in the garage.


Our other Mexico craft was a much cleaner one.  They made tissue paper flowers.


We ended our "stay" in Mexico with a quick fiesta.   We broke our pinata and later had a Mexican dinner.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep up the good work! School at your house sure looks like fun! Great pinata video!

Cathy said...

I love Evan Moor! Every book I have purchased from them has been outstanding. That is what we used for almost all of our summer schooling.

What a wonderful, imaganitive art activity. I really love the detail they put into each picture, and seeing what they came up with from the starting point of two lines! Creative! It is great to see them all put together like you have them, too.

When I was younger, we used to buy those tissue paper flowers at a Mexican area in town called "Old Town." They had restaurants, old, historic buildings and a bazaar where you could purchase authentic Mexican items. Most kids on our buses when we took field trips there were holding at least one tissue paper flower on the way home! It was fun to see the ones you made.

Thanks for sharing your great week once again. I love seeing what you are doing!

Cathy said...

Just so I don't look like a completely bad speller, "Imaginative". I didn't proofread before I sent! :)

Kim said...

I am so impressed! Bookgirl and Mathboy are very artistic! :)