Monday, August 23, 2010

Summer Reading

This summer Mathboy has made huge strides in his reading.  At the beginning of the summer he could read (decode), but didn't have the confidence to read anything that didn't have a picture on every page.  The abilities were mostly there, but he wasn't willing to go for it and would rather be read to or draw or color something.   Of course I kept bringing home books from the library and the books I bought at convention and pulling out Bookgirl's old books at his level and eventually it clicked.  He read The Sword in the Tree by CR Bulla and something just clicked.  He read it in one day and he was so excited.   This started a journey of reading book after book after book this summer.   I made him a list of some books I wanted him to read and told him when he finished it he could pick something fun to do.   He read many others in between, but this is the list in case anyone's looking for book ideas (I know I always am!).  He has begun a love for history books and he especially liked Behind Enemy Lines, which was a book I got for Bookgirl, but Mathboy seemed to like it even more.  I can picture him someday talking World War II with his Uncle David and Uncle Pieter. 

Stone Fox Gardiner
The Sword in the Tree C R Bulla
This is Mohan Rod&Staff
Who's the stepping on Plymouth Rock Fritz
William Penn biography
Capyboppy
Cobble Street cousins - In Lucy's Kitchen
Jonathan Park Bk1
The Storm C Rylant
A Lion to Guard Us Bulla
Adventures of Mohan RodStaff
Busy Times RodStaff
Hannah stepping stones
Jeremy: The Tale of an Honest Bunny J Karon
Pioneer Cat stepping stones
The Borrowers Mary Norton
The Missing bible Rod&Staff
Behind Enemy Lines DeMallie, H. R. (Howard R.)
Pearl Harbor

Celebration Miniature Golf

Fishing it out of the water!

Bookgirl got a hole in one!



This was the first time any of our kids played miniature golf, so it was kind of wild, but definitely fun!



1 comment:

Janet said...

Congratulations Mathboy ... He will enjoy reading as much as his sister now. And it certainly looks like everyone had a blast playing miniature golf. Way to go. Thanks for the update!

Love,
Grandma