Our first Brazilian craft was making these wire people. Mathboy made a soccer man and Bookgirl made a dancer.
I went to Brazil on a music tour during college, so I had lots of real life things to share with the kids. They especially liked seeing the Brazilian money that I brought back and the pictures of the Gauchos.
Since they learned alot about the plants and animals of the rainforest, Bookgirl created this drawing. She spent a few days working on it and she loved it when she was done. We entered it into a Habitat art contest.
The most impactful thing we learned during our stay in South America was about Nate Saint and the missionaries that followed after him. If you have not read about their story, we really suggest it. The almost uncomprehendable love they expressed toward the Huoarani people stretch all of us.
Bookgirl and Mathboy had their second meeting with the King's English (public speaking club). They both really liked it. It really meets a need for our family. Its so important for us all to feel comfortable speaking to other people and I'm thrilled they are starting this so young. It's all part of training our arrows to be mighty weapons for God. :)
More art from that great Evan Moor book I got for $2.
Painting with primary colors first.
Mixing colors to make a color wheel.
Creating shades of color
Here's what Baby New Year was doing while they were doing art. We surrounded him with the toys in the garage so he couldn't escape. lol. I think Little Sponge was napping at this time.
Perhaps the most exciting thing that happened while we were studying Brazil had nothing to do with Brazil. Bookgirl got a letter back from the serviceman she had written to in Iraq. She and Mathboy were squealing (literally) with excitement. He sent them pictures that I won't post for his safety sake, two letters, and some pogs (military money). They wanted to frame the picture of his company in front of a helicopter, but for now its on our prayer wall. We told them after SSG W got home safely to his family, they could frame and hang the picture in the boys room. Thank you SSG W for writing them back, and mostly for your service to our country.The kids continue to pray for you and are really looking forward to meeting you when you return - soon!
One more picture to share: Mathboy's soccer team praying after a game. To God be the glory (1 Cor 10:31)
I'll try to not wait so long to post again this time.
3 comments:
Fantastic weeks! Hope you had a great trip ... we enjoyed reading all about what you are doing.
Grandpa & Grandma
We have that same art book, though we've only done two activities from it. And our 3rd child was born on Christmas day. So another holiday baby!! Love your blog!
The wire people look interesting, and how wonderful to be able to share some firsthand knowledge of Brazil. (What fun it must have been on that trip, by the way!)
Bookgirl's drawing is beautiful. The detail is great and what a super job on the animals!
I have liked each Evan Moor book we have bought. We used a lot this summer and I thought that each one of them was thorough, up to date as far as content, and the kids really enjoyed them.
Not sure what is more awesome, by the way, the serviceman in Iraq writing back, or the fact that Mathboy's soccer team prays after practice.
It's a good life, isn't it? XO
Post a Comment