Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Beach Ball - chapter1

I figure its definitely time for me to bring this blog into 2011!!  We're going to start off with a story that Bookgirl is writing.   Enjoy!

The Beach Ball, by Bookgirl

Chapter 1


It was a hot day at Busy Beach. Hundreds of children were playing, making sandcastles and swimming in the ocean. Meanwhile, the big hot sun shone down on a shiny pink and blue beach ball. As the children played about him, he said, “It is no fun being a beach ball, sitting here on the sand, or being thrown about by children. I want to have adventures.” But, there was nothing he could do. He tried to walk, but he had no legs. He tried to push himself, but he had no arms. “Oh well,” he sighed, “I wouldn’t know where to go if I had arms and legs anyway.”

An hour later, a young girl named Kate started to race her brother, Frank. “I’m beating you, Frank!” she called over her shoulder, as she pulled ahead of him. She ran right past the beach ball and accidentally kicked him with her foot! The beach ball yelled, “OW!” as he started rolling. He rolled through a sea of legs, every second going faster and faster as he headed toward the real sea. Suddenly, a four foot tall sand castle, decorated with shells and surrounded by a one-foot-deep moat, loomed up before him. He crashed through the sandcastle causing it to fall down, entirely filling the moat. The beach ball got stuck in the ruins of the castle. “Hey!” yelled its builders, a four year old girl and a ten year old boy. The girl burst into tears. “It’s ok,” comforted her brother, for that is who the boy was. “We can always build another one,” he added. The girl, recovering from her grief, marched over to the beach ball, picked him up and threw him as far as her chubby arms could throw. As he sailed through the air, the beach ball yelled, “I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to knock over your sand castle.” The girl and boy gaped at him. “Goodbye,” yelled the beach ball. Then he realized how high up he was. He was about 20 feet up in the air, and he was afraid of heights. “Just don’t look down,” he told himself. After flying through the air for about thirty seconds, he started to come down. The beach ball landed on the sand with a PLOP. “Oh no!” said the beach ball, “Now I’m stuck.”

 
Stay tuned, for Chapter 2!

2 comments:

Janet said...

What a great story ... reminds me of our fun times at the beach.

Roseanne said...

Very interesting story! I can't wait for Chapter 2 - great job Book Girl!!